Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Texas Postcards #1

Hi everyone! We went for a walk in the rain and I took some pictures. Here's some old-timey mood music to listen to while you scroll through my postcards from Texas. Click play and enjoy.

 

Just out of the blue, it started to rain the other day. We loved it. Miles, on the other hand, did not love it. He just sat on the couch and stared out the window. Maybe the raindrops were bringing up some painful memories of a lost bone or something. I don't know. I asked him about it, but he refused to talk. I guess we all have our secrets.



The sunflowers were a little worse for wear after the winds played with them. But, I didn't mind. And neither did they, I think.



We walked over this bridge and I had my mom hold the umbrella over me so my phone wouldn't get wet. I have a thing for bridges.




This is what I saw when I looked off the side of the bridge:



Before I came to Dallas, I pictured it in shades of yellow and brown. I was wrong.


This is a historical house down the block from where we live. The people who currently live there put up a plaque by the white picket fence, telling about the house. It's more than a hundred years old. The house, not the plaque. I would have taken a picture of the plaque, but there were people milling about the front yard and I didn't want to seem like a creepy stalker.



A different view of the same house. I also have a thing for old buildings. I imagine all the stories that were lived out in them.




This is another old house right across the street from the first one.



This one, I did get a picture of the plaque. I just had to because the information was so cool. In that neighborhood, I'm probably now known as the crazy lady who takes pictures in the rain. I can live with that.


A couple of miles from our house, there's a frozen custard place that we always see when we're driving around on our errands. And, every time, we say, "What's frozen custard? We should go check it out." So, on this day, we walked to it.


I'd never had frozen custard before, but I just knew that it would be good. And I was right. People, hear me. If you ever have the opportunity to indulge in this gift from the creamy sugar gods, do not hesitate. Dive right in and ask questions later. The menu was extensive and I only had $8 in my pocket, but the sweet young lady behind the counter made it work for us. Mom got a small cup of the chocolate/vanilla combo, and I made my own (not very creative, but divinely delicious) combo: vanilla/chocolate custard, fresh strawberries and hot fudge, crowned with frothy whipped cream and sprinkled with the salty crunch of peanuts. As you can see, my giganto treat dwarfs my mom's reasonably sized dessert. Next time, I'm getting a small.



If you've spent any time with my mom, you know that she doesn't eat junk food. None. Zero. I think that she has a secret plan to outlive everyone born in the 20th century.  And she kept protesting that she really didn't want any frozen custard. But, you know what? She ate that sucker up FAST! You can see how deeply she was traumatized by the experience.



Hope you enjoyed coming along on our little outing. See you next time!

3 comments:

  1. I must have heard that song a thousand times when I was a kid. My mother owned every Perry Como record ever produced. She might have been his biggest fan. It sure seemed like it in our house. Thanks for the cool photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them, Northeast. :) Have you heard Diana Krall's version of this song? It has a somewhat sadder, more intimate feel. It's the one I wanted to post here, but the YouTube rulers would have none of that.

      Delete
  2. No I haven't, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete